Local Time
Call Us : 905-673-9000, Fax : 905-673-9555


Family class immigration reunites families in Canadian homes. Canada has a proud tradition of reunifying families under its family class immigration scheme.

Canadian citizens and permanent residents living in Canada, 18 years of age or older, may sponsor close relatives or family members who want to become permanent residents of Canada. Sponsors must promise to support the relative or family member and their accompanying family members for a period of 3 to 10 years to help them settle in Canada.

Are You Eligible For A Partner-Sponsored Family Visa?
You can sponsor relatives or family members from abroad if they are:
* Spouses, common-law or conjugal partners 16 years of age or older;
* Parents and grandparents;
* Dependent children, including adopted children;
* Children under 18 years of age whom you intend to adopt;
* Brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces or grandchildren who are orphans; under the age of 18 and not married or in a common-law relationship; OR
* You may also sponsor one relative of any age if you do not have an aunt, uncle or family member from the list above who you could sponsor or who is already a Canadian citizen, Indian or permanent resident.

A son or daughter is dependent when the child:
* Is under the age of 22 and does not have a spouse or common-law partner;
* Is a full time student and is substantially dependent on a parent for financial support since before the age of 22, or since becoming a spouse or common-law partner (if this happened before age 22); OR
* Is financially dependent on a parent since before the age of 22 because of a disability.

Medical Requirements and Up-front Medicals
The medical requirements for spouses, common-law partners, conjugal partners and dependent children are different from the medical requirements that must be met for other members of the Family Class.

Police Certificates and Clearances
You and your family members must provide a police certificate issued by the authorities of each country in which you have lived for 6 months or more since reaching the age of 18.
Under the Canada-Quebec Accord, the province of Quebec has a role in determining sponsorship eligibility for Quebec residents.
However, the Quebec portion of the process is begun only after Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has finished its assessment of your ability to meet Canada s sponsorship requirements.
If you live in Quebec and want more information about the province s immigration requirements please contact Quebec Immigration for information.