Local Time
Call Us : 905-673-9000, Fax : 905-673-9555


As a Canadian citizen or permanent resident in Canada you have a right and you may sponsor your spouse (him or her), common-law partner or conjugal partner to come to Canada as permanent residents.

Some of the relationships between the Sponsor and the Sponsored persons must be the following in order to be eligible:

A spouse is a husband or wife. To be considered the sponsorís spouse, the sponsor and the applicant must be legally married. If the marriage did not occur in Canada, provided that the marriage is legal in the country where it occurred, then it will be accepted by the Canadian immigration authorities.

Common law
Ontario Family law purposes, you must cohabit 3 years, or have a child and a relationship of some permanence.

British Columbia family law, you must cohabit 2 years in a marriage-like relationship.

New Brunswick family law, you must live together continuously in a family relationship for 3 years and one person must be substantially dependant on the other for support, or, where the couple lives together for one year and has a child together.

Nova Scotia, you must live together for two years.

Under Federal law Act; you can request a division of CPP benefits if you have lived together for 12 consecutive months. As well, if you have lived together for 12 consecutive months, the same income tax rules apply to married and unmarried couples.

You must provide some sort of proof that you have been living together. Examples would be conjoined bills, bank accounts, rentals or leases etc. something legal that provides both names.

Conjugal Partner
A conjugal partner is a person who has been in a marriage-like relationship with the sponsor for at least one year although they have not lived together because of extenuating circumstances. You must provided proof of reason if in fact you are not living together.

This is applicable for same-sex partners.

What does it mean to sponsor?
When you agree to sponsor one of the mentioned above, you must sign a contract called an undertaking. The undertaking is a promise to provide financial support for your spouse, common-law or conjugal partnerís basic requirements and those of his or her family members. Basic requirements would include food, clothing, shelter and other needs for everyday living.

Dental care, eye care and other health needs not covered by public health services are also included. The undertaking ensures the applicant and his or her dependent children do not have to apply for social assistance.

Your obligations as a sponsor begin as soon as you sign the undertaking. The Undertaking will be valid for three years after the day he or she becomes a permanent resident.

In Order to Become a Sponsor:
You must be 18 years of age or older
Must have a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
Must be sponsoring a of the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada Class
Live in Canada and continue to live in Canada after the sponsored person obtains permanent resident status
Sign an agreement, along with your spouse or common-law partner, confirming that each of you understands your obligations and responsibilities.
Sign an undertaking promising to provide for your spouse or common-law partnerís basic requirements and, if applicable, those of his or her dependent children.
Prove that you have sufficient income to provide basic requirements for your spouse or common-law partner. To do this, you must provide documents that show your financial resources for the past 12 months.
If you have sponsored previously and the person has turned to the government for assistance you will most likely not be eligible this time around.

The first step is for you to apply as the sponsor. Both you, as the sponsor, and sponsored must meet the requirements. Once you have met the requirements you must complete the application to Sponsor, and then your relative must complete the residency Application. These two forms should be filled out at the same times. And then the forms will go through processing.

Applicants for permanent residence must go through medical, criminal and background screening. Applicants with a criminal record may be refused to enter Canada. People who pose a risk to Canadaís security are also not allowed to enter Canada. Applicants may have to provide a certificate from police authorities in their home country.

How Aims Immigration Solutions Inc. can Help
Our services take care of absolutely everything that has been mentioned above. We fill out your applications for the sponsor and sponsored. The only thing the client has to do is to pay the government fees at the appropriate time, and our professional fee for our services. Also the client is responsible to provide our company with the documents as mentioned on the ĎChecklistí that will be provided after being retained. These will be used to provide your case with the evidence and proof the government needs to process the sponsorship and the residency.