Local Time
Call Us : 905-673-9000, Fax : 905-673-9555


Each year, Canada welcomes close to 100,000 foreign nationals who come to work in Canada. Canadian citizens and Canadian Permanent Residents have the right to work in Canada. As a general rule, most other individuals require a Canadian Work Permit, issued by a Canadian immigration official, before beginning to work in Canada.

Work In Canada Basic Facts
For Canadian immigration purposes, "work" is defined as an activity for which remuneration is earned or as an activity that competes directly with activities of Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents in the Canadian labour market.

Canadian immigration authorities require a Work Permit for a limited number of work related activities in Canada.

A job offer from a Canadian employer is usually a prerequisite to receiving a Canadian Work Permit.

In some instances, Canadian immigration regulations allow for "Open" Work Permits, which are not employer specific.

Work Permits are always temporary in nature, but can often be extended from inside Canada.

Normally, Work Permits will only be granted by Canadian immigration authorities if supported by a positive "Labour Market Opinion" (LMO) letter issued by Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC), indicating that the proposed employment will not adversely affect Canadian workers. However, certain occupations are considered "under pressure" and some provinces have made arrangements to ease the entry of workers in these occupations.

Work Permits may be issued by Canadian immigration officials, without HRSDC involvement, in a limited number of situations, as follows:

Under international agreements, such as the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA);

Due to the significant economic, social or cultural benefits the work activity will bring to Canadians;

As part of reciprocal agreements Canada and its provinces/territories have entered into with other countries, such as youth and teacher exchange programs;

So that international students studying in Canada can fulfill academic requirements, known as co-op placements;

To allow the spouses/common-law partners of Work Permit and certain Study Permit holders in Canada to work in Canada;

Because the nature of the work is charitable or religious;

In recognition that certain persons in Canada for reasons other than the above-mentioned, such as the making of a refugee claim, need to support themselves.

Work Permit is a written authorization to work in Canada issued by the Canadian High Commission to a person who is not a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident of Canada. It is normally valid for specific period of time and for a specific job. The work permit is issued based on the Labour Market opinion through a HRSDC confirmation that the particular job is in high demand in Canada.

Role Of Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC):
An HRSDC Confirmation for a job is an opinion given to the Canadian High Commission which helps determine the CHC that the employment of the foreign worker is likely to have a positive or a negative impact on the Labour Market in Canada. An HRSDC confirmation may be required in order for a work permit to be issued. The HRSDC confirmation process is initiated by the Prospective employer who contact and gets the job offer from the HRSDC. The form is then filled and submitted back to the HRSDC which further considers several factors including availability of Canadians and the offered wages to the economic benefit to the prospective foreign worker.

Basic Requirements To Get A Work Permit For Canada.
The Canadian High Commission must be presented with the fulfilling requirements of the Immigration and Refugee protection act and Regulations. The candidate must also:

Satisfy that the he would leave Canada upon completion of his employment in Canada. Be a law abiding and with no criminal track record. A submission of Police Clearance certificate would be necessary. Not be a risk to the security of Canada. Be in good health after submitting complete medical examination report. Produce any additional documents as required by the CHC.